Is there a stadium like it anywhere in the world?
Is there a cauldron of fire that is the M.C.G.?
The mighty Melbourne Cricket Ground, known locally as the G.
I was lucky enough to grow up living a short distance from the G, with the footy crowd easily heard on a Saturday afternoon.
- Ron lighting the flame for the start of the 1956 Olympics.
- Betty Cuthbert lunging for the finish line.
- Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth twice.. in 1970* and 2006 for the opening of the Commonwealth Games.
- Harmes knocking the ball back in that had gone over the boundary line
- Kicking the footy with Frankie on the ground after a game until it was so dark we couldn’t see
- Taking my son there for the first time
- April 1970: A day at the footy included a tour round the ground in a car and watching a match between Fitzroy and Richmond.